Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Malaysian Chicken Curry (Gulai Ayam)

It's been a while....
I am no longer able to cook boring meals without the great world wide web knowing, due to my absence in posting an exciting meal.
But, fortunately for you, I stepped beyond the mundane easy meals and attempted something new last night. Well, not exactly new. But worthy of a post at least.
So here we go.....today I bring you: CURRY (from scratch!).
Before you decide it sounds much too hard, I would like to say, it really isn't that hard. Does take about 45 minutes to get everything going but once you do, it just cooks itself.

Recipe:
-Cut chicken pieces (2 large) into bite sized pieces.
-Blend 5 Tbsp curry powder into 1 cup water
-Pound 6 shallots, 4 cloves of garlic, and 3 cm piece of ginger (or if you don't have a mortar and pestle, like myself, you can chop/grate them; also, I used ground ginger because I didn't have a piece of it)
-Heat 1/2 cup oil and fry the pounded ingredients until fragrant. (optional: add in chopped chili pepper if you want it to be spicy). Add in the curry powder and fry further until fragrant.
-Add the chicken with a little bit of water.
-Add star anise, cloves and cinnamon stick.
-Stir slowly and add the coconut milk (2 cans), potatoes (5 chopped), and salt.
-Simmer until potatoes are cooked.
(I also added in chopped squash, which I added in once potatoes were slightly tender).
-Serve with rice and steamed green beans.

-Selakan makan!
Turns out I forgot to take a picture of the end product, but let me assure you that it is a delicious curry, not spicy (unless you add in a lot of chili peppers). Feeds about 10 people. Lots of leftovers.

No comments:

Post a Comment